The village of Ellenville is nestled within the town of Wawarsing, a little over ninety miles northwest of New York City and ninety miles southwest of Albany. The village is located where Routes NY 52 and US 209 meet and is bisected by the recently-designated Shawangunk Scenic Byway. Ellenville is at the western base of the Shawangunk Ridge (The "Gunks"), with New Paltz and Gardiner on the Eastern Ridge. The Shawangunks is listed by The Nature Conservancy as one of the "75 Last Great Places on Earth." The Shawangunk mountains are considered by many to be the foothills of the Catskill Mountains in the ultra-scenic Hudson Valley of New York State. Because of the beauty of this area, real estate sales (and prices) have been growing in towns like New Paltz and Gardiner at a steady rate, even in this generally flat market. Finding affordable homes with acreage in these areas is becoming harder and harder. However, the Ellenville/Wawarsing area--just over the mountain from New Paltz and Gardiner - and only 2 hours from Manhattan or Albany - is an up and coming area. It has all the natural beauty and activities today's homebuyers crave, as well as homes available at affordable prices. Residents of Ellenville enjoy a quiet village lifestyle with modern amenities, and other towns, cultural activities--and even NYC--are just a short car ride away.
Homes in Ellenville/Wawarsing
Real estate in Ellenville/Wawarsing area has many small to medium sized single-family dwellings available, many with acreage, and there are also larger homes with amazing views as well as land available at very reasonable prices compared to other local areas. Generally speaking, the Ellenville/Wawarsing NY area real estate market is doing well, with fairly steady rates of appreciation compared to other areas of NY State. There are some historical homes to choose from and also mid-century-built homes dating from the 1940's to 1969, and newer properties built in the 1970's thru 1990's. In addition, row houses and even a few income properties, such as small apartment complexes, are available. The median price for a home in Ellenville is below $200,000 with a wide range existing between the highest and lowest priced properties. These reasonably priced real estate opportunities will not last forever as the artists, LGBTQ, and seasonal visitors who are beginning to buy here spread the word.
Things to See and Do in Ellenville
Quaint and charming are words that describe Ellenville's historical downtown area. There are perfectly restored historical buildings such as the Village Post Office and George and John R. Hunt Memorial Building (formerly the public library) and live theatre, The Shadowland Theatre, hailed as "The Catskill's Cultural Gem", is dedicated to high-quality, professionally produced plays and musicals. There are also charming local bistros, including a 4-star ZAGAT-rated bistro, Aroma Thyme.
Those who love outdoors activities have all they could ask for in the way of extreme and not so extreme sports:
World-class hang gliding -Well established for decades, there are schools and launch points at several locations.
Rock climbing - The Shawangunk Ridge (The "Gunks") is considered the East Coast's premier climbing area where there are literally hundreds of climbs at every difficulty level from easy (like climbing a ladder) to moderate to very challenging.
Biking & Hiking - There are trails throughout the Sam's Point Preserve as well as the Mohonk Preserve trails, some of which do double duty in the winter as cross-country skiing trail. Trail map. For mountain bikers, there are many possibilities for different rides at Lippmann Memorial Park.
Hunting & Fishing - This area is the home of large numbers of white-tailed deer, turkeys, and black bears; a perfect place for that hunting camp you always wanted. For fishing, nearby Roundout Reservoir is a local secret.
Kayaking - Paddlers can find local white water at the Beer Kill River.
Swimming - Minnewaska State Park, local lakes, and annual tri- and biathlons provide ample opportunity for swimmers.
Four wheeling - So many people in the area four wheel around their own properties and riding clubs abound.
Bird watching - Considered an "Important Bird Area", Sam's Point Preserve is an awe inspiring preserve along the Shawangunk Ridge and a great place to view a wide variety of raptors and high elevation forest birds: Sharp-shinned hawks, turkey and black vultures, along with bald eagles and several other species of migrating hawks and falcons. Black-billed cuckoos, northern flickers, eastern wood-peewees, least flycatchers, yellow-throated vireos, common ravens, and a variety of warblers and other forest bird species are regularly spotted.
Incredible views - Sam's Point Preserve abuts Minnewaska State Park Preserve's southwest corner. Both of these preserves feature waterfalls, crystalline streams, high-altitude "sky" lakes, dense forests, and sheer cliffs with ledges that open to spectacular views.
Ellenville is served by Ellenville Elementary, Ellenville High School, and Ellenville Middle School. Many students continue their education at SUNY Ulster, a two-year community college located roughly 20 miles north of the village in the hamlet of Stone Ridge or at SUNY New Paltz.
Communities and Locations in Ellenville/Wawarsing Area
- East Wawarsing - A hamlet southeast of Wawarsing hamlet.
- Ellenville - The Village of Ellenville is at the junction of Routes 52 and 209. The Town government building is located on Canal Street, Ellenville.
- Cragsmoor - A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- Dairyland - A hamlet near the western town line on Route 52.
- Greenfield Park - A hamlet west of Ellenville on Route 52.
- Kerhonkson - The hamlet is located by the northern town line along Route 209.
- Honk Hill - Located in Napanoch, near Honk Lake.
- Honk Lake - A small lake south of Honk Hill.
- Lackawack - A hamlet northwest of Wawarsing hamlet and at the edge of the Catskill Park.
- Minnewaska State Park - A state park partly in the town.
- Napanoch - A hamlet north of Ellenville on Route 209.
- Pine Bush - A hamlet at the northeast town line.
- Potterville - An abandoned community in the town.
- Rondout Reservoir - A reservoir partly in the northwest part of the town.
- Sam's Point Preserve - A nature preserve southeast of Ellenville.
- Soyuzivka - A Ukrainian resort in Kerhonkson.
- Spring Glen - A hamlet by the south town line.
- Stony Kill Falls - An 87-ft. high waterfall.
- The Cape - A hamlet northwest of Ellenville on Route 52.
- Ulster Heights - A hamlet in the western part of the town.
- Wawarsing - The hamlet of Wawarsing is on Route 209.
- Yagerville - An area near the Rondout Reservoir, too small to be a hamlet.
When you need a knowledgeable real estate team with expertise & dedication,
contact Gail Vesely and her team at